Can you imagine the feeling of joy when a child says Dada or papa for the first time? From the moment we started taking out baby steps he was our rock, he never let us fall. And when we got little injuries he taught how strong we are. He made our safety and well being his first priority.
Needless to say, it was our father who taught us the true meaning of words like courage, duty and sharing. He was the pillar of strength, always there to have our back when we ventured out to try something new. He was there to protect us from any harm (even our mother’s scolding or beating!) He showed us the value of hard work by providing for our family needs.
When times get difficult our fathers are always the ones to tell us things that are encouraging, when we are set out to make our own identities in the world it’s his roots that remind us who we truly are and prevent us from getting carried away into the rigidness of this world. All the happy fathers day quotes we read truly fall short to explain what an important role fathers play in our lives.
Fathers day is meant for children to show how much they appreciate their fathers roles in their lives. This holiday celebrates fathers and fatherhood in general, including father figures such as guardians and grandfathers. The occasion is marked by giving a gift or anything meaningful to one’s father or spending time with him. It is a time set aside to value a fathers role in one’s life and to reflect upon paternal bonding.
Many people show their love through gifts, family dinners, one on one time and many express it in the form of happy fathers day quotes. In The US some wear a red rose to honor this day.
Fathers day history
After Mothers day was founded Fathers day was set to compliment it. Fathers day was discovered in the 20th century, the main innovator was Sonora Dodd. Dodd held the first significant Fathers Day celebration in Spokane, Washington in 1910, held at the Spokane YMCA center.
Internationally, Fathers Day is often associated with International Men’s Day, which honors males who do not have children. Many countries’ celebrations do not differ from the United States’ traditions except for the date. Unless the holiday is associated with religious tradition, it is not usually recognized as a public holiday.
Facts about fatherhood
- While Mother’s Day holds the record for most phone calls, Fathers Day has the most collect calls
- In America, observers spend over $1 billion every year buying gifts for their father.
- Hallmark considers Fathers Day to be the fifth largest card giving holiday.
- Children whose fathers are involved in their life in a beneficial way tend to do better in school and stay out of trouble.
- Scientists polled over a thousand adults to find that 28% felt that their fathers had the most influence on their lives, 53% chose their mothers and 15% credited both parents the same amount.
- About 80% of post WWII children grew up with two biological married parents.
- 24 American children live without their biological father. This is about 35%.